Saturday, July 12, 2008

Riley's Rules for International Flights

1.) Be nice. Chances are, you're all in the same boat, anyways. Delayed plane? Yeah, it sucks, but it sucks just as badly for the other dozens of people on the plane, too. Just remember that sometimes being that person with the friendly attitude or the ability to crack a joke in those situations may sometimes play in your favor later on.

2.) Fly direct if at all possible. This is especially true on the way home, because it is not fun claiming and rechecking your bags after Customs! It also eats up a lot of layover time and, before you know it, your two-hour layover that seemed perfect is now pushing it. Sure, direct flights can end up being a couple hundred dollars more, but it may be worth it, especially if the alternative includes a short layover.

3.) Dress comfortably. Don't wrry about looking chic to go to Paris or Rome because no one looks chic after lugging a 55lb. bag and carry-ons through Customs. Planes are unpredictable things when it comes to temperature, so dress accordingly. My usual airplane uniform: sweatpants, a tank top, a cardigan, a jacket, and my black Chuck Taylors. I will throw a pair of khakis or something in my carry on, too, so I can change at the airport if I don't want to look too much like I just got out of bed. Comfortable shoes are definitely a must.

4.) Wear glasses. Yes, even if you're a die-hard contact lens-wearer like me, after 8 hours in recirculating air, everyone is dehydrated and that includes their eyes. Just remember your 3oz or smaller bottle of saline solution and a baggie if you want to take your contacts with you on the plane.

5.) Pack lightly. You don't get much room and chances are, on an international flight, you'll get some form of in-flight entertainment. Limit your carry-on to the essentials. For me, that means my carry-on includes my iPod Touch, my laptop, a journal, a book, some gum, and all of my various chargers).

No comments: