Monday, July 14, 2008

Bastille Day

Happy Bastille Day!

I thought today would be a fitting day to close out my blogging about France. I'll probably keep this blog going about my personal life, but this will be the last France-centered entry. I've been home since about 8:30pm on Friday. Being in America has never felt better! It's so nice being around familiar things again, and having friendly people around. I thought it would take awhile to readjust, but it kind of felt like it all just fell right back into place.

That's not to say that I didn't have a great experience in France. I miss the people I met in Paris. I miss being able to look out my window and see the Eiffel Tower at night. I miss being able to switch back and forth between English and French depending on what I felt like at the time. I learned so much about culture and how to understand and appreciate the differences between various cultures. The things I learned in Paris are things I never could have learned without stepping outside of my comfort zone and living like a Parisian for seven weeks. There is absolutely no way to explain this kind of experience to someone who hasn't actually done it. It's experiential learning in the highest sense. Hopefully, through my entries, you all have gotten to understand a little bit more about a culture that was a little bit foreign to you.

One of the things that everyone keeps asking me is, "So, is the USA better than France?" The thing is, we're talking about culture here. There's no such thing as a "better" culture. France is different, but it's not better and it's not worse. It's just different. The same thing goes for any culture, whether it be German or Japanese or Egyptian or Iranian or Thai. No culture is inherently better or worse than another. They are just different.

So, time for me to get off of my soapbox. I could talk all night, but really, the only way for you to understand what I'm talking about is for you to go out and do it yourself. If you find yourself with a couple of weeks to spare, seize the opportunity and move to another country. It doesn't have to be forever, and it doesn't have to be a study abroad thing. Just living like a native of that country will change your views, most likely. It won't be easy, but it'll be worth it.

Happy traveling!
Riley =)

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

I totally appreciate reading your blog. I leave for the IES-Paris program from Sep. 3- Dec. 18th and it's been nice to see that you can change your home stay and learn a lot. I appreciate that you kept it all blogged because it's definitely going to help me as an American student over there.

Best wishes,
Jacquie