Sunday, June 1, 2008

New Love for those Golden Arches

So, I can't stand McDonald's at home. I like their French fries (ha), but that's about it. Well, now, it seems like I am in McDo every day here in France! It's not for the American food (although I did have my first McDo hamburger today...it was totally different than the American ones)...it's because it's cheap (which is a rare find here) and has wireless Internet. It's also nice because it doesn't have the greasy, fried food smell like the ones at home...they're actually really nice and designed for people to hang out in, not just eat and run (cause trust me...the French do not just eat and run). Also, it's open on Sunday. Hardly anything is open here on Sunday except for shops catering to tourists. I tried to go buy my books for class today, but the librairies (book stores) were either closed or too far away. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to get my homework done...

The French love their food, and they love to enjoy their meals. Last night, Megan and I went to a cafe by her homestay around 10:30pm (they also eat dinner very, very late here). We were done within the hour, even though, by our standards, we were taking our time and enjoying our food. However, the French people around us just sit and talk for hours after their meals. In fact, they don't even bring you the check at French restaurants...you have to ask for it, and then they will eventually get around to it about 15 minutes later. Megan and I, being the impatient Americans we are, got tired of waiting after a half hour and just went up to the bar to pay, which totally confused them.

Tonight is hopefully one of my last night's at l'appartemente des Pommery. I was more comfortable at Megan's house and with her host brothers this weekend than I've felt in the entire week I have been at the de Pommery's.

Have a good week!

Riley =)

No comments: