Thursday, June 12, 2008

Some More Observations

Here are some more of my collected observations of the French...

Milk. In the US, I love to drink skim milk. I drink it every morning. I drink it with cookie dough (which I eat quite often). But here, no one drinks milk but little kids. And their milk is very different. They are very big into UHT (ultra high temperature) pasteurization here, which totally changes the flavor of milk. Basically, they heat up milk like twice the temperature that they do at home, which enables milk to be stored without refrigeration. So, people keep milk in cardboard boxes in their cabinets instead of in the fridge. It's also virtually impossible to find skim milk (and it took me like 2 weeks to figure out that skim milk is called ecreme here).

Tattoos and piercings. They aren't too common here. Ear piercings, yes, but I've only seen Indian women and American women with nose piercings. I've only seen maybe one person with a tattoo, and I have no idea if that person was French or not.

Language. I think just as many people speak English in Paris as speak French. And I am in an interesting position as someone who is from an English-speaking country who speaks some French, because anytime I talk to a French person in French, they realize immediately that I am American and start speaking in English to me. But if I speak in French to a non-French person, they think I am French. So, I'm in this weird middle ground sort of thing.

1 month left in France...I plan on making it a good one!
Riley =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes- I totally know what you mean about the milk - same all over Europe and in Mexico. After spending last summer in Mexico, the first thing that I did when I got back was to go get a gallon of milk and drink almost all of it! I nearly made myself sick, but it was worth it. I can't live without milk! -